I'm sure I forgot to tell you that I got myself a new laptop. Complicated sorry, and I still think that Apple store's logistics need major improvement:
- I ordered a macbook pro on June 28th... along with a couple of other stuff
- several weeks later, as I was still not getting anything, I called the carrier
- Oh.. we're waiting for the last parcel he said. So I asked for the remaining equipment to be delivered.
- then more time went by without my laptop
- I called twice the carrier (TNT): they never called me back with an answer
- I called Apple: PERFECT service. THey said let us investigate, we'll get back to you by tomorrow; which they did. TNT has reported to them that the parcel was missing, but had been shipped by Apple (stolen?), so the lady says she'll ask for an express delivery
- good, another week geos by, and I see in my inbox, that they were shipping me the wrong model
- called back apple to change the model
- then another week...
- and I get 2 calls the same day: one for delivery of the wrong model, one for delivery of the right model
- back to calling apple: oh, maybe we didn't cancel it right
- called the carrier, who was at my doorstep in less than 2 hours: and the wrong model was gone
- however it took an extra 2 days to get the right model...
Last time I ordered from DELL 4 computers, they came in in less than a week, no glitch, just there.
So, I should write about my experience with this new laptop:
- loks beautiful, btu I'm afraid to scratch it
- heats up a lot though. I'm luchy I have heat-resistant hands
- I'm a bit lost on the keyboard: some keys are mising, others are totally misplaced
- I got used to MacOSX with another iMac: so although a bit weird, I'm with it: it's just that the screen gets quickly cluttered with windows of all sorts. Can't figure out how to get exposé to work easily; it seems the only way to become a power user here, is to learn most keyboard shortcuts
- feature wise: I managed to install almost everything I wanted, or a quick google helps you as well
- I really like Parallels: great to run windows XP in a window + 2 linux distributions at the same time. Great for geeks, great for testing. Nevertheless a few things don't really work: I can't get my old webcam to work in Windows, and XP does not recognize the iSight :(
- I'm trying mac specific apps such as NetNewsWire, ecto... OK apps.
- I like the fact that it boots in a snap when you open the keyboard
- got 2 indispensable apps from novamedia.de for sync-ing with my nokia E61 and using it as a 3G modem. almost indispensable but expensive. Should be provided by Apple shouldn't it ? I guess they're helping their ecosystem
- I hate the fact that windows PPT don't open EXACTLY the same way on MacOSX Powerpoint
- the screen is a bit short in height: I somehow got used to higher screen ratios, but I suppose 16:9 is the way to go today
- the power adapted is bulky and ugly (white!)
- wifi reception is OK, not outstanding (I have other devices that are better)
- I love .mac for syncing my PIM data (contacts, calendar) between my computers (I have another mac desktop at home) and my phone. Should be cheaper (I'm still in trial mode).
- can't get iDisk to work (says sync failing because I'm not connected: yeah right)
- I'm running Skype for mac beta something: haven't tried video on it yet, can't compare to iChat video
- I wonder why disk sizes are so small on these laptops (I got the 100Gb witha higher rpm). With all the video footage, it just sums up in a snap.
- I'm using thinderbird for mac instead of mail: is it a crime ?
- I love the shift-something-4 to grab screenshots. very handy. but the shortcut is too complicated.
so switchers or addicts, let me know what I'm missing here.