I’ve had my video iPod (iPod 5.0) for over a month now, and it’s time to give you a review. In a nutshell, get yourself one, but the 60GB version !
So again in bullet fomat, the positive side:
- this device is just beautiful. It comes in a slim version (the one I have = 30GB), and a fatter version (60GB). I think the slim version looks much much nicer, but with all my video podcasts subscriptions, I’m nearing the 30Gb limit soon, and it’s been only 6 weeks that I’ve had it. Clearly we’ll need either a larger hard disk drive, or a better software to manage the sync settings between a computer and a laptop (it’s hidden somewhere in the options of iTunes).
- the iPod comes in white and black, and I think the black is awesome (that’s the one I have). It comes with a polished metal back, very nice.
- The speed of sync between a computer and the iPod is very very quick (I used to copy MP3s from my PC to my phone, and it took forever); just great.
- the screen is great, and very comfortable to watch any show or vlog.
- I listen to a lot of podcasts and to some music, clearly more than before owning the device.
The negative side:
- way too expensive for what it is: an MP3 player
- I hate using different computers, as I can’t easily sync my iPod with my laptop on the road (I usually use my home desktop). I’m sure someone has figured this out already, so please let me know how you do it.
- my black iPod came with WHITE earphones. Ugly, but I understand the marketing coup of having everyone on the street being recognised as an iPod user with white earphones. They are however of rather poor quality. I use other earphones.
- I find the navigation system slightly too sensitive. Sensitivity should be a parameter, as I often select another program than the one I intended.
- the protective hose is cheap: it came white, and is now really grey (only a few weeks later). I’m glad it comes with the iPod, but I would have paid a couple of euros more for a better protective case.
- Since I only use the iPod for podcasts, it would be great to completely reprogram the interface and cancel all the options I don’t use (you can cancel the Photo option for instance somewhere in the settings)
What I’d like:
- yeah of course, everyone will say the Apple phone. I actually would like it to have an FM receiver and tuner. I use the device to listen to audio and watch video: so I need it to extend to FM, and potentially to digital terrestrial TV (stuff that phones are having).
- Griffin already offers external mics, but the iPod should come with an intergrated mic for podcasts, etc.
- I really miss an external speaker on this device: my Nokia 7710 has a great speaker. Why doesn’t the iPod have one ?
- finally, I’d love a better battery life!
I guess we should get an updated version (as usual) of the iPod at the upcoming Mac conference in SF in 2 weeks. I wouldn’t buy anything from Apple for 2 weeks, until I hear about the new stuff